Friday, March 18, 2011

SXSW half way point

I was originally planning to write a full recap of SXSW every day, but when you get here and everything gets going there's just too much happening. Not to say I couldn't have found time at some point, but it would have been at the expense of something else. And that includes rest, which has been on short supply after our 13 hour journey to Austin 7pm to 8am. Hopefully tonight I catch up a little on that, but even though our lodging is very convenient there is a kitten dwelling in the same room as us and it makes its prescence known, disturbing sleep at odd hours of the night.

Regardless of how sleep-deprived or rested you might be SXSW continues on, and with music pouring out from all corners it is easy to get overwhelmed. This is in fact is the year I am most without a plan, often going on the reccomendations of others. Slightly strange since it is my 4th SXSW, but in some ways maybe it makes the most sense. I've been working more this year than ever, filming a couple of Young Man shows and Dee Goodz' showcases that are coming up in the next 2 days, so it's been nice to find out about new groups and their shows without having to do my due diligence. I feel after this is all over I'll break down all the great artists I've seen as well as sort through all the video I've filmed over each day. Right now though I just can't muster the energy to go back through that all, much less get all the visual content uploaded.

So far I'll say my highlights have been Glassers, Curren$y, Dodos, Dale Earndhart Jr Jr, and Twin Shadow. Most everything has been pretty good though save for a show ruined by sound bleed. Only 2 more days to go, and they might be the busiest yet so I better get some rest (shit it's 4am). I'll probably end up writing lots of stuff in the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment