Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lollapalooza 2011 pictures

Believe it or not this was my first time ever attending Lollapalooza. It was a perfect time to do so, as I knew two of the bands personally who were playing on Sunday and I was given the awesome opportunity to film their shows and take some sweet pictures. My brother is a drummer in the Chicago based group Young Man, who I've filmed several shows for over the past year but this probably had to be their biggest stateside so far. Congrats to them on an awesome show and good luck on their new album (who they are recording with John McEntire, genius producer of Tortoise, Sea and Cake, and more). Videos will be coming soon.

The other group I was lucky enough to film was Cage the Elephant, whose guitarist I have become good friends with lately. They're originally based out of Bowling Green, KY but some of the members live in Nashville. And good thing because they put on an incredible live show and it was an amazing opportunity to be able to film it. They've really blown up too, the crowd was massive (estimated 20-25k) and it was one of the wildest shows I've seen all year. When the rain started to fall it only added to the energy, it truly was a special concert moment. Thanks to the band for giving me the chance to film it, I can't wait to go through all the videos.

Besides those two shows I didn't see much else except for Daedelus in Perry's dance tent. I fucking love this guy, ever since I saw him back in 2007 at SXSW he has always been one of my favorite electronic artists. He samples the best stuff, everything from Cut Copy to one of my new obsessions James Blake, and puts it amidst a barrage of electronic beats and warbles that is both danceable and thought-provoking. Kudos to him for pushing the boundaries of what electronic performers can do.

Overall it was an incredible experiences, I only got to go Sunday but it was more than worth the trip up to Chicago. I'll have some sweet videos in the coming weeks but for now check out some of my favorite pictures from the day. All shot on my Canon 5D, which I love more every day I spend with it.

Chicago skyline
Daedelus
Young Man

My brother killing the drums
Crowd at the Playstation Stage
Cage the Elephant

Thanks again to the bands for giving me the chance to capture these amazing concert moments. I wish them all the best, from what I've seen they still have much more to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment